Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Book Group Roundup

For my Jane Austen Book Club, I listened to the audiobook of Pride and Prejudice. No matter how many times you have watched every available movie version, the book simply has MORE and it is delightful. The audiobook was sort of like doing a 11 hour movie version where my imagination created the visuals for the excellent narration. I still want to re-read the printed book as well, but that may have to wait a bit.
I listened to it. 11 hours.

For Literature with Lunch, I tackled the much-resisted, sort-of-feared, Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, which is the Kansas Reads choice for 2008. What really helped me was a pep talk a friend gave me right before - she said something like "whatever you are worried about because you think you don't like true crime, it isn't this book. This book is different."
It was a truly well-written and interesting book, and the most I find out about Capote's life, the more the weird it all seems. Recommended, although I probably won't re-read it (except later this month before I facilitate my second book group on it. And, for the record, it didn't give me nightmares...
I read it - 343 pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home