Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm reading, I swear...

First off, a little escapism with Rogue's Lady by Julis Justiss - a bonafide Harlequin regency romance. I checked it out; 377 pages.

Then, two books in quick succession for book groups - Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, which was a delicious re-read that I savored page by page. Seriously, that lady can sure turn a phrase, and some of the dialogue makes me laugh out loud, or run into the other room to read it to the spouse. I read my paperback copy from high school -- 315 pages.

On Monday, Lit with Lunch discussed Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, which was also a re-read although a different kind of enjoyment (French realism is not for everyone.) I think I was more shocked at the sex scenes now than I was when I as assigned to read it when I was 14 (or I understood more of the innuendo anyway). Seriously, who carries out their adulterous affair on a bench at the back of their husband's garden? Tacky and uncomfortable, that's what I say. I will admit that in the 15 years since I last read the book that the never-ending carriage ride tryst through the streets got a whole lot funnier though. I read my tattered paperback copy from high school - 322 pages.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I'm really impressed that you can find - one one but two - paperback books from high school. Apparently your life has been less gypsy-esque than mine. I likely have boxes of books currently residing in no less than 3 states, maybe 4.

9:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home