Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Listen Up! Or, alternately, read about what I listened to recently....

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter
I discovered Ally Carter when I read Cheating at Solitaire for freshfiction.com. When I found her new teen novel, I was thrilled, and she didn't disappoint me. I can summarize this whole book in 5 words. "girls boarding school for spies" Think Harry Potter's Hogwarts meets James Bond, with a dash of Charlie's Angels.
I listened to the book on CD - 7 hours.

I frequently listen to things multiple times, so I will just admit that I did listen to the first half of To Say Nothing of the Dog...again, while cleaning house. Maybe I am an addict?

And I also listened to Kurt Vonnegut's "A Man Without a Country" twice in a row, from the downloadable eAudiobook. I am so glad that Vonnegut doesn't seem to stick to his "I'm not writing any more" vow because the world needs his perspective. Or at least I do. I heard another librarian complaining about Norman Dietz narration, but I think it is wonderfully gruff and gravely. HIGHLY recommended.
I listened either 2.5 hours or 5 hours, depending on whether immediate repeats count.


Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot
Deliciously fluffy, with a first person narrator who just can't shut up. Lizzie talks her way into more problems than she talks her way out of, but her obsession and disappointment with her first boyfriend, a British bloke who leaves much to be desired, and her subsequent adventures with her friends in France are actually quite revealing and reassuring for anyone listening in on her chatter. Perhaps the queen of babble's monologue would be less obvious on the written page, but on the CD I have been glad when I can occasionally hit pause and take a break from her incessant talk talk talking.
I listened to almost 9 hours of it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home