Sunday, July 16, 2006

And again with the catching up....

I think I missed some, but will try to fill in...

While on a car trip to Ohio last week, Dan and I listened to The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern by Lilian Jackson Braun, to get a taste for that series. The narrator George Guidall spoke at our library last summer, that made it more interesting to listen to the book. I read Don't Look Down, a new adventure-romance by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer, which was a little too action-adventure for my tastes, but then, I am a tad wimpy when it comes to violence. And I finally got to read the new Alison Bechdel graphic novel Fun Home: a family tragicomedy, which just blew me away with it's depth, humor, seriousness, poignancy, honesty...and of course the drawings only added to each scene from her life. How often do you find passages in a graphic novel that you need to read aloud to your partner? or finish a memoir and want to go back and re-read to pick up on things you know you missed because the telling was so rich? It's not a particularly happy story, or a clearly sad one, and it's hard to describe past the (sometimes shocking) plot points, but it was truly one of the best things I have read in quite a while.

I re-read The Jane Austen Book Club, for my book group. I noticed more in this reading that Karen Joy Fowler is a science fiction author. She is open to narration and exploration that I am not used to, but that I love. I'm going to have to read more of her work now.

Fun Home - 232 pgs
Don't Look Down - 373 pgs.
Jane Austen Book Club - 288 pgs.
Cat who ate Danish Modern - 5 hrs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home