Sunday, June 11, 2006

Undead and Unwed

Undead and Unwed by Mary Janice Davidson
I listened to this on my portable media player, after downloading the eAudiobook from the library. It was probably a weird choice (vampire chick-lit) to try while visiting my baby nephew, but I ended up listening to it in bits and pieces while on the airplane, taking walks or doing laundry. The story was straightforward enough - disgruntled secretary gets laid off, hit by car, wakes up undead, tries to figure out what to do next, meets men, hangs out with her best friend, lusts after designer shoes, fights bad guys, finds out she might be the Queen of the vampires, and then sets us up for the next book in the series. My main complaint (and trust me, everything I know about vampires comes solely from the first 2 seasons of Buffy) is that Betsy Taylor doesn't seem to have to deal with all of the real concerns of the other vampires, which makes her easier to relate to, but somehow less believable. Not that I believe in vampires anyway, but she doesn't seem to fit within the fictional world she lives in. Probably for people who have read about vampires before, it is okay when Mary Janice Davidson breaks the mold here with her heroine, but since I am new to the concept I mostly found it confusing.
Also, I loved Betsy's sarcasm and skepticism, but sometimes the super hot vampire sex scenes caught me off guard.

I checked it out. 9 hours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home