Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Sound and the Fury

I read The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner for Lit with Lunch this month. I really liked it, even though it was one of the more challenging books I've read, ever. I loved the wikipedia summaries of each section, both because they helped me figure out what in the world was going on and because they offered such helpful encouragement. This was a statement about section one: "Readers often report trouble understanding this portion of the novel due to its impressionistic language, necessitated by Benjamin's retardation, and its frequent shifts in time and setting." This was a statement about section two: "While many first-time readers report Benjy's section as being difficult to understand, these same readers often find Quentin's section to be near impossible." Luckily, section three is hard to read only because the narrator, Jason, is a big jerk. And section four is not told in the first person and is more like a traditional novel, although all of the sections before it are present in the reader's mind, shaping the perceptions in this section.
Reading a book about dysfunctional families and the complexities of family relationships right around my own dysfunctional mother's day was an experience all-it's own.
It is unlikely I would re-read this book for fun, but it is an experience I will appreciate and reflect upon in the future.
321 pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home