Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Books a million

Not really, but I'm trying...

I read The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck for book group-- 578 excellent pages and very timely in the current economic situation and also the current trend towards locally grown produce.

I'm judging the booksellers best romance contest again this year, all Harlequin/Sillouette serials-- I had An Ideal Father and The Single Dad's Virgin Wife and Heart of a Thief so far. 245, 212 and 214 pages.

I reviewed As Sure as the Sun by Anna McPartlin for freshfiction.com - 384 pages

I listened to the H2g2 primary phase radio show adaption, 3 hours., and the secondard phase, 3 hours.

And I read Sex for busy people: the art of the quickie for lovers on the go, which has been the subject of much discussion in Topeka lately. I wasn't impressed by the book, mainly because I didn't learn anything new (except something about a trenchcoat for quickies in public). The images are cartoon drawings and brightly colored, and I thought they were more funny than instructional. Also, the book didn't address safe sex or condoms, which I find unforgiveable in any modern sex instruction book, no matter what the premise. The book reads like half-page articles from Cosmo magazine and is less titilating than a racy romance novel and less graphic than many of our graphic novels. If this book is the gold standard for harmful to minors in Topeka, we are in BIG trouble. 79 pages.

1 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

Naughty, naughty. Sex for Busy People? Don't you know that book is dirty? Hahahaha.

11:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home