Thursday, October 11, 2007

Making Money

The new Terryy Pratchett Discworld novel Making Money kind of snuck up on me - I saw it in the library's new books area before I knew it was coming. And is there really anything better than the instant gratification of diving right into a new book by a favorite author? (that was rhetorical. there is not. unless the book also came with a bowl of ice cream and a diet coke to sustain my reading frenzy.) Still, it's funny fantasy/social commentary/weirdness and how many authors can pull that off consistently? (also rhetorical, in a post Adams/Vonnegut universe)
Anyway, we last saw Mr. Moist Lipwig when he was transforming the Ankh-Morpork post office in "Going Postal" and he was so successful that he is offered (forced/coerced) a position at the Royal Mint, where it costs more than a penny to make a penny and the bank still seems to be operating on the gold standard. It's Discworld, so chaos ensues. I'm glad that we got to see more of Moist's girlfriend Adora Belle and also of the huge clay golems, and I can't wait to see what Terry Pratchett comes up with next - the book hints that he (and Lipwig) may take on taxation.
I checked it out. 393 pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home