Monday, September 17, 2007

way better than high fidelity if you are into reliving your 1990's romances

Love is a Mix Tape: Life and Loss, One Song at a TIme by Rob Sheffield

this is a true story
this is a story about love
this is a story about loss
this is a story about music

"I realize that I will never fully understand the bizarre ways that music brings people together."

Once upon a time a man named Rob
loved a girl named Renee
and they both loved music
they got five years together
before Renee was gone
and Rob is left alone
with mix tapes and memories.
Overwhelmed with grief and sleepless nights and music.

How to tell if you might like this book...
Did you ever (publicly or secretly) love pop music?
How clearly do you remember the day that Kurt Cobain died?
Have you ever made or received a mix tape?
Do you sometimes miss the nineties?

I made a video book review on youtube also.

I loved this book because it is heartbreaking and funny and true.
I have a shoebox full of mix tapes from old boyfriends squirreled away under the guest bed, and I love to get them out and relive those days through their music. The first time I saw High Fidelity in the theatres, my friend Ross and I stayed up half the night listening to those same old tapes. Music just isn't the same since CDs and mp3s. Of all of my Scott memories, those tapes recall some of my fondest.

The singers ask "What is love?"
Love is a mix tape.

I checked it out and also listened to part on audio. Each chapter begins with the play list from a mix tape.
219 pgs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home