Sunday, April 15, 2007

Last books of my 28th year

My last catch-up post for my 28th year. (well, the year I was 28, which was really my 29th year, I guess...but I digress, which is why I am behind on these posts.)
I had a WONDERFUL birthday yesterday - crafts and friends and brownies and ice cream and "better off dead" and more friends and all kinds of fun!

So, recently I have read:
The Buenos Aires Broken Heart Club by Jessica Morrison
A woman with an all-consuming life plan looses everything and heads to Buenos Aires to recuperate for 6 months. And, the Internet saves her, sort of....
I reviewed it for freshfiction.com. 302 pgs.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
I read this for the first time for my Literature wih Lunch book group. I loved it. I liked the movie okay, but I loved the book. Have you read it?
This is my favorite line. "I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it." Being raised Southern Baptist, I have a passing familiarity with the pissed off God, so this interpretation of spirituality delighted and amazed me. I'm not sure I was appropriately reverent at my in-laws church though (we discussed this book on Easter Monday.).
I bought it. 288 pgs.

You Suck by Christopher Moore
I accidentally read this before I read Bloodsucking Fiends, which I now realize comes first. Oops. Plus, I am listening to Fluke at the same time, so I am chock full of Christ Moore weirdness/goodness. You Suck is a love story, not surprisingly about vampires....
I checked it out. 328 pgs.

"James Patterson" is the guest star on the Simpsons that I am watching right now, Marge was dreaming about meeting him on a beach, "dreaming up new nursery rhyme titles for his books". I still haven't read a James Patterson book, and I can't say that the Simpsons are great at RA....

Back to my reading list. I read The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency for So Many Books, So Little Time today, by Alexander McCall Smith.
I checked it out. 226 pgs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home