Sunday, April 13, 2008

Wit's End

Wit's End by Karen Joy Fowler
Although the tagline on the front of the book says "What happens when your readers steal your characters?" which led me to imagine so much more than this book delivered, the writing was still delightful. I can't say something cheesy like "this book does for mystery series writers what Fowler's last book did for Jane Austen" because it simply isn't true, but she definitely explores some of the interesting issues in that chasm between what the author puts down on the page and what the reader decides to make of it all. Reading is intensely personal, and I think the think that I like best about Fowler's novels is that she gets that, both in the themes and plots of her books, and also as the author.
In a shocking display of impatience, I paid full price for it the week it came out. 322 pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home